Tuesday, June 16, 2009

New York City

Welcome to NYC baby! For the past week I have been having the time of my life in New York with some of my best friends ever! Enjoy the ride...

Wednesday: My best friend Becky, her sister Anna and I took an early plane ride to JFK, NY and arrived at about 5 pm. When we arrived, Becky took the reins and lead us through the subways (all baggage in tow) to our destination. While venturing through one of the many subway stations, a traditional Native American was playing the flute. I of course stopped and observed-after all we don't see that everyday in Utah! The man playing the flute saw me looking at him and waved me toward him. I of course tried to walk the other way in avoidance, but Becky convinced me to at least take a photo with him. Here I am with the happy flute player!













We stayed in New York's Queens borough with one of Becky's close friends Melissa. Melissa and her boyfriend were THE cutest and sweetest hosts ever. Upon our arrival Melissa took us to eat at a traditional Argentinian restaurant. Despite my nervous entry, I exited the eatery with pleasure. We ate a mixture of rice, beans, a variety of meat, eggs and of course fried bananas! I took a couple of pictures of the streets on our walk to the restaurant.












After we finished dinner, we met up with some other friends, Pedro and Myra, in Union Square. We went to the Virgin records store- which we LOVED, because they were closing. Now you might be curious as to why we loved it? Yes, because of the SALE! Everything in the store was 70% off! We made out like bandits with about 12 cds for about $4-5 each.

To finish up the night, we all went to a little tea cafe to try some new treats! It was a little gem called "Saint's Alp Teahouse." Becky and Myra were brave and got drinks with tapioca bubbles in them. What are tapioca bubbles? (Who knows, but they don't sound too appetizing)EXACTLY what I thought-so I went with a berry smoothie. The tapioca bubbles seemed to be the size of a marble and were squishy just like a fruit snack- only they didn't dissolve!? Oh, and did I mention you sucked them up the LARGEST straw I have ever seen? Needless to say we had more than enough laughs and giggles enjoying our drinks.


After we finished at the cafe, we walked around Union Square and Pedro gave us the Grand tour. There were lots of NYU students at the square playing volleyball, instruments, and drawing. It was a really fun atmosphere.

Needless to say- I have only summarized 5 or 6 hours of our stay in New York and it is taking me forever. So never fear- I have lots more coming including: Manhattan temple trip, Broadway, Time Square, 9/11 Memorial, Tiffany's, Canal Street, Statue of Liberty... But I am off for now-check back for updates!


















No comments: